Monday, March 2, 2009

A Little Problem On The Subject Of "Comments?"


This is just a note to those who leave comments on the articles on this site. Now you all know that I encourage comments quite often. It gives me feedback and direction, and we all can make friends, etc. I encourage that very strongly! When leaving a comment, please contribute to the subject , Which most of you do!

Just recently I was considering removing all of signing in or whatever you have to do, such as capcha and you know! Then I caught a comment that had no comment. Just a link to a site. I deleted that form of a comment and that is the first time that I had to do this. You see I don't like to have any censorship, but this was a "plain as day" spam.

Now I once again will have to say honestly that I do in fact love 99.9% of your comments! But I have to draw a line in the sand! There will be no spamming here. You leave a comment in agreement or disagreement, that's fine! You can leave a link to your site, that's fine! If you are into animal rights , that's fine, Comments are necessary if your going to link up!

If the shoe fits wear it , if not then this does not apply to you! I love all of your comments and want to see them continue. I apologize for having to sound tough, but I want to keep this site spam free. So I hope you understand and don't take it personal! If you leave a link without a comment' it will be deleted! Sorry folks!

If you have something to say , then say it and add a link that is fine! All opinions are welcome, lets just keep it clean and play the game! I encourage linking, lets just do it right! I don't think this is an unreasonable request! Again, I encourage and love your comments, keep them coming but lets keep it clean! OK?

Thanks,

Kenny

So until next time, keep your hooks wet and your lines tight! Help us fight spam, and boat safely! See ya out there soon!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

im goiing to have to agree with this i hate spam and people who just want to make money.

Anonymous said...

Nicely put Kenny. I am in this for the passion of expressing myself and to make blogging friends who feel the same.

Albert A Rasch said...

I've only had a couple of actual "spams" on my blog. I am glad that's all I've had to put up with over the last two years.

I've never used any form of moderation, and I think some folks think they need to do that in order to avoid any spam. I believe that our niche doesn't appeal to spammers.

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
The Rasch Reviews: Tactical
Proud Member of Outdoor Bloggers Summit
Southeast Regional OBS Coordinator

Kenny Breckenridge said...

The spam in question was a link to an animal rights blog, still no problem, if link is accompanied by a comment, even they have a right to express themselves. Thanks Fishermens Life, Rick, and Albert, for your opinions and comments. Controversial statements do nothing more than cause a healthy debate, and that's cool! The problem is not comments per say, but rather just a link. This blog is not a spam site.

Dick Loupe said...

You hit the nail on the head! I agree whole-heartedly about the spam comments. I've received some on my blog where people leave comments sayint that they were looking for something altogether different, but since they wound up there they would just leave their link.

Now I do leave my link to my website and blog whenever I leave a comment, but at least I'm doing it on sites & blogs that relate to my sites too. That's how we network within our own subject matter.

People think that all they have to do is have links coming to their site from just anywhere and it's going to up them in the search engines ... not so. Only if the links come from an area that is relative. That's part of the beauty of blogs - one way links attached to relevant comments.

By the way, that's a magnificent photograph of the sunset. Where was it taken?

Anonymous said...

Well, Kenny, you hit a home run on this post. I agree totally to your thought process and how you have managed it. Linking is great, talking fishing, hunting, and, other outdoor activity is fine. All of us bloggers need to be aware of what might be spam and cause major problems for our efforts to be an enjoyable blog to visit and read.

Kenny Breckenridge said...

Capt. Dick, thanks for the comment and the picture of the sunset is at my house. I took that picture 3 or 4 years ago in August. Mel thanks for dropping by and commenting, you guys are all awesome buddies. Thanks everyone for being so understanding.
I think it is, simply put, leave a comment and a link! Don't be afraid to share your opinion, If we disagree, then we can discuss it as a network. Again thanks everyone!

Anonymous said...

Comment spam and people stopping by and leaving simply a link to their blog is always going to happen. I agree that you have to draw the line. If you don't, you'll end up overwhelmed with spam.

Kenny Breckenridge said...

I really believe you are right Kristine, and I don't have enough time to do all I need now. We will leave it like it is now. If it gets worse, then I already have a plan "b"
or an ace up my sleeve. Good security costs but our readers comfort is more important! There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. Pardon the expression.

gary said...

Kenny - It sounds like this isn't a major problem with some sites, but it has become huge on our site. We had over 60 last weekend and from what I know about these things they don't add to, they multiply. We are trying to figure out how to control it before it gets out of hand, so if anybody has ideas let us know.