Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Getting Your Boat Ready For That Next Trip?

Hello, everyone, and welcome! Wow, after my last 2 or 3 trips to the lake , my boat was a long time over due, organization and deep clean time! As you can see by the picture it was filthy. A lot of snow and rain has the back roads around the lakes, sloppy and muddy at best! I rolled back the cover and opened it up to air out. What a mess! It took me 3 hours of organizing my lure boxes again. I hosed "old blue" and scrubbed the carpeting real good and did a check of everything , battery connections , etc , you know the old going over.

I learned a long time ago preventive maintenance prevents breakdowns, on the water and maybe miles from the truck.
It gets up to 60 something today , 20 tomorrow. So it has been too cold to wash and wax the hull. A good buffing wouldn't hurt either it seems.

My "bass tracker" is definitely not a big expensive luxury bass boat but what the heck it gets the job done. It is exactly what I need for the lakes around here. This boat is 3 yrs old now and runs like it did when it was new, and I figure will last many years to come if I continue to take care of it , like I do! I have to admit , It grew on me! I was thinking about a Nitro , but for about a third of the cost bought the tracker instead. I really wouldn't want to have to part with " old blue " cause I have kinda grown fond of her.

I guess I should keep her cleaner so she looks pretty! But she's just a bass boat , and she's also been the most reliable boat I ever owned! So I guess , I can keep her around for a long while yet. Tomorrow its supposed to start getting warmer again and Wednesday is supposed to be in the 60s maybe. I will give her a good scrub and buffing and get ready for the next big adventure on my agenda!

So until next time , Keep your lines tight and your hooks wet! Boat safely and see ya out there , I hope! And remember, preventative maintenance will help you to have an enjoyable trip , Take the time to check out your boat, between trips, grease your buddy bearings and check your electrical systems, etc. Most of all just enjoy
the "Great Outdoors!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true that maintaining your boat can be a chore, but also a labor of love. If your add it to your routine maintenance logs, like you have for your cars/trucks, then it will become habit.

As a fishing guide, I generally have to clean up my boats after each trip because it is a pet-peave of mine to always present a clean boat to my clients.

To consider becoming one of my clients go to http://www.bassfishingguide.com or http://wwwbassinthenet.blogspot.com

Capt Dick
Southern Outdoorsman Guide Service

Kenny Breckenridge said...

Welcome aboard Pistolmom and Dick Loupe, thanks for your comments, and for reading my article. I try to keep my rig clean,and organized , and it looks and works a whole lot better for all involved! See ya out there!