Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Truly Incredible "SENKO"

Have you ever seen a lure, that in all respect, looks as though it was designed to catch fishermen instead of fish? Welcome to Kennys Great Outdoors! While your here , check out the archives, feel free to leave a comment , sign the guest book. If you have a fish story, tip, or photos you would like to share then send these items to me at
kenny54@wildblue.net and we will be sure to share them with all our readers. Now back to the question. Several years ago, well 2 or 3 tops. I discovered a lure, called "Senko" Wow a very weird looking lure, but to my discovery, not only catches fishermen, but also catches "FISH" The last I heard is the reason we go fishing! ;-))

Whenever I have a yearning to try out new types of baits, I generally buy a few different colors and throw them in the storage compartmen of my boat. When the fish aren't biting to well, I experiment around with some of the new additions to my arsenal, to determine whether or not its worth the investment. This is how I have discovered new lures that produce somewhat better than expected or at least as good as expected. Sometimes lures catch more fishermen than fish. ;-))

One such bait I picked up and threw few years ago, at the urging of a friend, was a manageable plastic bait by Gary Yamamoto. It's called a "Senko". It doesn't look like much. Certainly not a twin to any other softhearted plastic baits except that it is long like a worm. It has no distinct profile in it's length like a Slugo other than the taper from the middle out to both ends and a very fine, almost unnoticeable set of ribs. Kind of like a Centipede, but more of a round elongated shape. It's hard to explain what it looks like. You have to see it. And you definitely have to use it to believe its fish catching abilities. Seeing is Believing, RIGHT?

When my friend first showed the bait to me, my first reaction was, " yea right you catch fish on that contraption? " And I thought, here we go again, another lure to catch fishermen,and not fish. I being born in Missouri, the " Show Me " state have to see something with my own eyes to believe it. Especially when it comes to new fishing lures. However I learned two things a long time ago about fishing lures, don't believe everything you hear, and dont knock it until you try it. Try it at least once but fairly several times before you eliminate it from your boat.

Well, this was certainly going to be one of those lures that I had to see work, before I felt I needed to buy any for my tackle box. On an outing with my friend, he was using the Senko. While at first he wasn't having any successfulness, slowly he started catching fish. On the first one, I thought to myself that he innocently got lucky. Then later on another, then another. He only caught four fish on it that particular two day outing, but that was enough to convince me to give it a try.

I purchased several colors that he had been using and brought them on my next trip. No fish. Not to give up too easily, I tried some again on many occasions. No fish. But for some reason or another, call it gut feeling, I wasn't ready to give up on this lure. After all, I did see my fishing buddy catch fish on it. And because of my competitive nature, I certainly wasn't going to let him show me up again. I was bound and determined to give this "senko" every chance to prove itself to me , which of course eventually happened.

I got the opportunity to fish with this same fishing buddy again. I finally interested a fish on a Senko. Something must have clicked for me that day, now one of my favorite lures. I also have improvised a special box for the senkos and accessories required to fish them. That same fishing buddy , to this very day, asks me to show him my secrets, on the very lure he taught me to use. I just smile and say experiment and be patient. I also tell him its in the wrist action and it also depends on how you hold your mouth. ;-))

A few tips for fishing the Senko:

First and mostly, fish it slow. You can not fish this lure too slow! I fish a lot of clear water, Norfork lake in Arkansas and Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, so long casts seem to be key,for me. Make your cast long , keep giving the lure slack line, but keep in contact with the lure while it gracefully sinks. It takes practice, but this is when a large percentage of the strikes will be. You MUST have patience, seeing the lure sinks very slowly.

Another unique feature about this lure, which I think makes it successful is it perplexing ability to fall. The slightest movement of the rod tip or line, and the lure will tear side to side, flutter, and even dart some. Different movements with the rod makes this lure come alive. It has a action that bass can not resist. Hang on and get ready for some heavy action!

I rig mine Texas style with a TruTurn 1 / 0 to 4 / 0 Xpoint Xgap Pattern hook, depending on the size lure I'm fishing. I expose the hook through the top of the lure and " pinch " the point just under the surface of the figure. " Pinching " the hook aids in less hang - ups in the grass, and allows quick hook - up when a fish takes the senko and runs with it. Xpoint hooks have a sharp point making hooksetting almost a snap with a quick snap of the rod tip.

The style and weight of the lure makes it heavy enough not to need any weight in most cases. If fishing very deep water, a weight might be desirable to get down faster. Almost always in this case I personally recommend a split shot type weight or whatever works best for you. A pin shaped weight Placed slightly forward in the senko so as not to impede the horizontal buoyancy of the lure, works extremely well. Just enough weight to make it sink faster but not to change the action of the senko.

Typically when a fish takes a Senko, It literally inhales it rather than hitting it and running with it. So the strike is almost undetectable, so be on guard! Set the hook on the first slight jump or movement of the line, or if the line feels taught when you pickup the lure. Unfortunately because of the slight, almost undetectable bite, this creates deep gutted hooksets. This makes it extremely difficult to get the hook out without hurting the fish. Be prepared to cut off the hook , rather than hurting or even killing the fish.

Sometimes I insert a rattle. I'll also insert a small weight, if the area I'm fishing only has patches of grass I'm fishing around and want to move from one patch to the other more quickly. Although I rarely use a weight , because it definitely reduces or kills the natural action that the senko has.Experiment and find what works best for you.

The Senko comes in sizes from the 4 " ( Baby Senko ) to 7 ". I'm not sure if size is important. But I seem to have better luck on the 6 inch senko. It also comes in a variety of colors. I've acquired quite an assortment, but my favorites are white, blue, black, red, and grape. Each seems to work equally well.

Give the Senko a try. You'll be glad you did. After you get use to the uniqueness of this lure, you'll discover it has great fish catching abilities. Be patient with it, and I think you'll catch more fish. " After all, they call it fishing, but the goal is catching. " The senko has proven itself time and time again in the pro ciruit and I know it will prove itself time and time again if you use it from time to time.

Remember this one tip in particular, cast out the senko and let it make its own action. It will take care of itself and just small twitches if anything, will make it irristable to Mr. Bass Hawg. Mr. Hawg will definitely inhale this senko and make a believer out of you or any other fisherman that consistently tries this remarkable production of an imitation lure. I fished this senko for 6 or 8 months( not 7/24) but almost every trip, before it made a believer out of me. Now it is A permanent fixture in my tackle box and A go to lure when the going gets rough. Don't be afraid to experiment with the retrieve of the senko. If you don't have this lure in YOUR arsenal, then make sure to add it to YOUR arsenal.

So remember keep boating safely. Practice catch and release. Enjoy the "Great Outdoors" Keep your hooks wet and hope to see ya out there!


No comments: